POSITION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
The Hazardous Materials Specialist is responsible for performing the various hazardous materials functions for the task force during incident operations. The Hazardous Materials Specialist reports directly to the Planning Section Chief.
Individuals who meet the following requirements and criteria will be eligible to become Hazardous Materials Specialists. The intent of these requirements is to select personnel fully capable of providing competent hazardous materials assessments and advice to Task Force personnel in the urban disaster environment. The requirements and criteria for the position are identified in the following categories:
The Hazardous Materials Specialist shall have:
1. Hazardous Materials training to the Technician level as per NFPA 472;
2. CBRNE Training;
3. NFPA or equivalent training in any of the following:
• Confined Space Rescue
• Structural Collapse Technician
• Rope Rescue
• Swift Water Rescue
• Trench Rescue
• Fire Officer
• Safety Officer
• Critical Incident Stress
4. Must be a current member of an active hazardous materials response team.
The Hazardous Materials Specialist:
1. Must properly utilize the detection monitors and devices in the Task Force cache;
2. Must properly doff and don all personnel protective equipment in the Task Force cache;
3. Must be proficient with the set up and use of the decontamination system in the Task Force cache; and
4. Must be proficient in building triage and USAR marking systems.
The Hazardous Materials Specialist shall be capable of:
1. Working well with technical experts, local officials, and other organizations;
2. Working together as a team to accomplish the tasks assigned by the Planning Section Chief;
3. Working extended durations in CPC during disaster operations;
4. Analyze pertinent information relative to the presence of hazardous materials and make recommendations regarding mitigation techniques and personal protective equipment; and
5. Have the ability to teach personnel in hazardous materials response to the operational level.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The hazardous Materials Specialist reports directly to the Planning Section Chief. The Hazardous Materials Specialist is responsible for:
• Providing an initial and ongoing survey (detection, monitoring and sampling) for and identification of the presence of hazardous materials at search and rescue sites;
• Directing decontamination procedures for any task force member or victim;
• Performing mitigation operations when indicated;
• Providing assistance and information to medical personnel regarding chemical exposure and injuries;
• Documenting all related information;
• Adhering to all safety procedures; and
• Performing additional tasks or duties as assigned during a mission.