This position is for a Hazardous Materials Specialist who will give advice and direction to the Rescue/Recon/Search Team Leaders during an operation. The HazMat Specialist reports to the Planning and or Operations chief dependant on their assignment.
The duties of the Hazardous Materials Specialist are:
- Support Team Leaders in supplying technical advice with regard to HazMat operations and procedures;
- Be responsible for and give direction on equipment and training pertaining to hazardous materials incidents;
- Maintaining and undertaking minor repairs for all issued equipment;
- Performing additional tasks or duties as assigned.
- Hazardous Materials training to the Technician level as per NFPA 472.
- Posses CBRNE Training;
- Address coordination and supervision of all hazardous material activities;
- Responsible for the determination of the hazardous materials organizational and logistical needs;
- Capable of operating a multitude of detection devices;
- Provide situation reports, maintain records and reports, and prepare performance evaluations;
- Must be able to deploy by ground or air (fixed and rotary wing).
- NFPA or equivalent training in any of the following courses:
- Confined Space Rescue
- Structural Collapse Technician
- Rope Rescue
- Swift Water Rescue
- Trench Rescue
- Fire Officer
- Safety Officer
- Critical Incident Stress
- Currently a member of an active hazardous materials response team;
- Have the ability to teach personnel in hazardous materials response to the operational level.