MEMBER, SEARCH TEAM
A Search Team Member is responsible for carrying out the Search Branch Director’s strategy for reconnaissance/search activities during incident operations and training. The Search Team Members report to the Search Branch Director and must meet all general requirements for members of CANTF2 (refer to General Requirements section).
The duties of the Search Team Member are:
- Responsible for searching collapsed structures, water, debris piles, land and mud slides, and other areas as assigned, using appropriate electronic search equipment and techniques;
- Responsible for executing and implementing incident reconnaissance and search plan;
- Responsible for the marking, documenting locations of possible finds and, if possible, estimating the status of victims;
- Responsible for cooperating with and assisting other search and rescue resources;
- Provides situational reports and records;
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic construction types, materials and methods;
- Ability to function within a confined space and at heights;
- Must have sufficient skills to develop a written or verbal report on the Search Team's progress or outcome;
- Knowledge and operational understanding with Technical Search Equipment;
- Must be able to deploy by ground or air (fixed and rotary wing).
- Official Training in Incident command ( ICS 100, IS 200 etc..)
- NFPA or equivalent training in any of the following courses:
- Confined Space Rescue
- Rope Rescue
- Swift Water Rescue
- Trench Rescue
- Fire Officer
- Safety Officer
- Critical Incident Stress
- Hazardous Material Training;
- Structural Collapse training at a technician's level equivalent to NFPA 1006;
- Previous experience in the use of a SCBA
- Previous search experience in emergency response or military.