SEARCH BRANCH DIRECTOR
A Search Branch Director (SBD) is responsible for managing and supervising all team reconnaissance/search activities during incident operations and training. The SBD reports to the Operations Chief. This individual must meet all general requirements for members of CANTF2 (refer to General Requirements section).
The duties of the Search Branch Director are:
- Establish appropriate liaison with other internal agencies/organizations and officials throughout the incident site;
- Responsible for development and implementation of the incident reconnaissance and search plan;
- Address coordination and supervision of all search activities;
- Directly supervise Canine Search Team Specialists and Technical Search Specialists; and ensure adherence to all safety procedures;
- Responsible for the determination of search team's organizational and logistical needs;
- Receive briefing and situation reports, and ensure all search personnel are kept informed of status changes;
- Provide situation reports, maintain records and reports, and prepare performance evaluations;
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic construction types, materials and methods;
- Ability to manage a group of individuals within the incident command structure;
- Must have sufficient skills to develop a written or verbal report on the Search Team's progress or outcome.
- Official training in Incident Command ( ICS 100, ICS 200 etc..);
- NFPA or equivalent training in any of the following courses:
- Confined Space Rescue
- Rope Rescue
- Swift Water Rescue
- Trench Rescue
- Fire Officer
- Safety Officer
- Critical Incident Stress
- Hazardous Material Training;
- Structural Collapse training at a technician's level, equivalent to NFPA 1006;
- Previous experience in the use of SCBA;
- Previous management experience in emergency response or military;
- Previous experience with Technical Search Equipment.